Soborny Lane

Soborny Lane — is one of the fist streets in Rostov-on-Don; it is marked ta the city plan dated 1811. It goes fr om Beregovaya Street to Budennovsky Avenue.

What to see?

Sobornaya Square is the oldest square of the city of Rostov-on-Don, located between Moscowskaya and Stanislavskogo Streets.

The Cathedral of the Nativity of the Most Holy Mother of God is the main decoration of Soborny Square and the masterpiece of the architect K. Ton, the author of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior in Moscow. The prominent Russian architect Konstantin Ton developed the “Russian-Byzantine style” for church architecture. Currently the cathedral is under restoration.

There are three churches in the metochion: the Cathedral itself, small church in the name of St. John the Forerunner, and the church in the name of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, which is located in the bell-tower.

The four-tier bell-tower in the metochion of the Cathedral is a rare for Russian sample of a four-tier campanile of the last quarter of XIX c. with the elements of Russian style of architecture and the Renaissance.

Monument to St. Dimitry Rostovsky, patron of the city; his name was given to the fortress, which gave its name to Rostov-on-Don. The Metropolitan is shown coming out fr om the cathedral and blessing the city dwellers with the sign of the cross.

Central market, the Rostov citizens call it Stary Bazaar (Old Market). It is a wonderful and colorful location, with an air, which is peculiar to Southern Bazaar, especially when you enter the rows with spices. You can buy here everything, which is Southern land famous for.

The sculpture of a plumber with a cat, warming his bosom at the hot radiator of central heating. The two-meter tall composition is an accumulative image of a grass-root technician of housing and public utilities, look seamless in the historical city area ensemble.

Illumination “Star Heavens” glisters and casts a spell in the evening during holidays. The building No. 26/71 has a memorial tablet saying, that it is here, at School No. 15 (by Malevich) from 1927 until 1936 Alexander Solzhenitsyn had his studies. Today it is the building of Economics and External Economic relation of the Southern federal University.

Where to recreate?

In the pedestrian area, wh ere the trees are planted, vases with Rocky Mountain juniper are put, granite hemispheres, benches and variety of cafés.

Создать QR-код
Добавить комментарий:

Добавление комментариев доступно зарегистрированным пользователям

    Пока никто не оставил свой комментарий.