Rostov State Puppet Theater is one of the oldest in this country. Its history starts from the group of puppeteers, who have started to perform for children yet in 1920s. And it is worth saying, that puppeteers, and among them were: M. Kushnarenko, N. Smirnova, A. Dora, and others, had such a success, inspiredly, and such enthusiasm, thet Azov-Chermomorsky regional Committee of Komsomol (Young Communist League) took a resolution to establish a puppet theater. The theater first opened its doors in 1935. Several generations of young spectators of the Don land grew watching its performances. And today, already adult, they bring their children and grandchildren to the puppet theater.
In different time the puppet theater was headed by famous directors: Boris Sakhnovsky – disciple of Konstantin Stanislavsky, Leonid Stelmakhovich – disciple of Vsevolod Meyerhold.
For over 35 years the art director of the puppet theater was Vladimir Builkov, disciple of Sergei Obraztsov.